History

1294178003_1.png

Beginning in 1845 the congregation worshiped in rented space in several locations around downtown Mobile in the neighborhood, presently known as DeTonti Square.

Few records of the early church exist, except for the Parish Register recording baptisms, confirmations, communicants, marriages and deaths. These early records reflect a small, but active congregation.


For a more detailed history of Trinity please read S. Albert Kennington's From the Days of Small Things available on Amazon.

Historical Highlights

  • 1845 In July the Reverend R.M. Miller began his duties as Trinity's first Rector

  • 1847 The new church filed articles of association with the Diocese of Alabama as Trinity Parish

  • 1848 The Reverend J.H. Massey accepted the call to be the second Rector

  • 1854 A Gothic Revival style church building was erected at the northwest corner of Jackson and St. Anthony Streets in downtown Mobile

  • 1864 The Church of the Good Shepherd was established with the assistance of Trinity

  • 1867 Bishop Richard Wilmer consecrated the Trinity church building

  • 1880's The sacristy, spire and porch were constructed

6146049_1.jpg
dsc0330.jpg
  • 1896 The Rose Window was installed as a gift from the Sunday School

  • 1916 The Robinson Memorial Parish House was constructed on State Street in downtown Mobile

  • 1929 After much prayer, discussion and a vote, it was decided to relocate the Church property westward to 1900 Dauphin Street

  • 1932 A Parish House was constructed on Dauphin Street and was known as Trinity Junior Parish House to distinguish it from the Robinson Memorial Parish House

  • 1945 The church building was taken down and moved brick by brick to Dauphin Street

  • 1946 The first service was held at the new location with the Rector Herbert Schroeter celebrating

 

  • 1950 Bishop C.C.C. J. Carpenter consecrated the relocated Trinity building

  • 1976 The Memory Garden at the west side of the church was dedicated to "All women who served the church since its founding in 1845" 

  • 1979 September 12th Fredric, a category 4 hurricane, struck Mobile and caused extensive damage to Trinity's main building and Parish House

  • 1998 The Memory Garden was restored and rededicated

  • 2008 The Rose Window was reinstalled in June after 6 months of repair and restoration

  • 2010 A capital campaign was undertaken to finance renovation of the church property

  • 2011 The restored church was rededicated

  • 2012 Christmas night, a tornado struck, severely damaging the church. Services were relocated to All Saints Episcopal Church as reconstruction commenced

  • 2013 Easter Sunday, Services returned to the Parish Hall

  • 2014 August 24th, the reconstructed and restored church was reentered and rededicated

  • 2017 An anonymous donor retired the remaining capital campaign and reconstruction debt of approximately $150,000 

oldchurch_orig.jpg
oldchurch2_orig.jpg
oldchurch3_orig.jpg
80D22CC0-B295-4294-BD6D-A17B3D5BBA42.jpeg

Trinity's Rectors

  1. B.M. Miller + 1845 - 1847

  2. Joshua Albert Massey + 1848 - 1879

  3. James Steptoe Johnston, Jr. + 1880 - 1888

  4. James Leach Lancaster + 1888 - 1891

  5. Clarence Croft Leman + 1892 - 1894

  6. Douglas C. Peabody + 1894 - 1901

  7. Richard Edmonds Bennett + 1901 - 1911

  8. Albert Glenn Richards + 1912 - 1917

  9. Edwin Gustavus Hunter + 1917

  10. Vernon Cochrane McMaster + 1917 - 1925

  11. Herbert Fredrick Schroeter + 1925 - 1953

  12. John Doyle Prince, Jr. + 1953 - 1954

  13. David Holmes Irving, Jr. + 1954 - 1964

  14. Benjamin Meginniss, III + 1965 - 1985

  15. Spergeon Albert Kennington + 1985 - 2007

  16. Matthew T.L. Corkern + 2008 - 2011

  17. Bailey Norman + 2012 - 2020

  18. Mary Jayne Ledgerwood + 2020 - Present